|Affiliation:||United Federation of Planets|
The Alpha Centauri system is a trinary system with thirteen planets, the nearest star system to the Sol system, 4.3 light years distant. The first star system beyond Sol to be colonized by humans, it was home to the indigenous Alpha Centauran culture.
Planets[edit | edit source]
- Alpha Centauri A (primary) and Alpha Centauri B
- Centauri I (Doru)
- Centauri II (Jannuik/Alpha Centauri colony)
- Centauri III (Kolmyri)
- Centauri IV (Centaurus/Velestus)
- Centauri V (Lessai)
- Centauri VI (Vagoth)
- Centauri VII (Seldarian/Al Rigil/Kent)
- Centauri VIII (Killner)
- Centauri IX (Estavor)
- Centauri X (Katanahes)
- Centauri XI (Asephas)
- Centauri XII (Thulann)
- Centauri XIII (Izach)
- Alpha Centauri C (Proxima Centauri/Alpha Proxima)
- Different continuities had different names for the planets of this system.
History[edit | edit source]
In the year 2001, astronomers on Earth, using ground-based adaptive optic telescopes, resolved at least two bodies in the Alpha Centauri system: two large planets caught up in a complex, oscillating orbital pattern around the A and B stars. Over the next century, several other planets were discovered in the system. One was the size of Mercury, locked in an eccentric orbit around Alpha Centauri A. The other two were Earth-sized worlds in interweaving orbital paths around Alpha Centauri B. (TOS novel: Federation)
In 2064, Zefram Cochrane traveled from Earth to the Alpha Centauri system aboard the SS Bonaventure and landed on Centauri B II. Two years later, Cochrane was aboard the UESP Enterprise when it made contact with the inhabitants of Alpha Centauri IV and VII.
- In the continuity of Last Unicorn Games, the name of the vessel was the SS Pioneer.
By the early 22nd century, humans had established several outposts in the Alpha Centauri system. Real-time subspace communications had been established between Earth and the Alpha Centauri system in 2112. (The Starfleet Museum: Hyperion-Class Cruisers)
Romulan forces attacked this system in May of 2156 during the Earth-Romulan War. Using nuclear weapons from orbit of Alpha III, the Romulans killed half a million people in less than an hour. (The Romulan War: The Romulan War (Part 1))
Following the fall of Betazed the system was defended by the First and Fourteenth Fleet along with the remnants of the Nineteenth Fleet. (The Dominion War Sourcebook: The Fires of Armageddon)
Alternate continuities[edit | edit source]
Alternate timelines[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
- The Alpha Centauri colony is believed to have been a founding member of the United Federation of Planets, along with Earth, Andoria, Tellar, and Vulcan.
- In Paramount-authorized publications, this was suggested, though not actually asserted, by the inclusion of a Alpha Centauri Concordium of Planets flag and seal in the Star Fleet Technical Manual.