|USS Baldwin story|
|Original post date:||2020-11-12|
|Previous story:||"Two of Us"|
Summary[edit | edit source]
Log Entry[edit | edit source]
- Acting Captain’s Log, Stardate 55674.3: Mara’s condition improved overnight. As we have had no further leads on who may have poisoned her, any help she can provide can only aid our investigation.
- — Recorded by Sara Jackson
Memorable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "I was hoping to get a flush, but only got a pair of rockets instead."
- "Did I catch you at a bad time?"
- “Nothing too serious, just having a poker night. We’re playing for fun, not latinum.”
- “I take it you’re behind in chips then,”
- "We have multiple independent traders bringing commerce through the colony. Unfortunately, one of the trading factions has turned against another. One group has accused another of piracy."
- "I know that you’ve managed to clean up the prosecutor’s office of Quellen’s influence and that your house-cleaning reputation helped you win the election. What makes you want to request my help again?"
- "The accused is a group of Orion free-traders led by a young woman. I suspect that there may be some residual elements of the Quellen administration that want to blindly assume that the Orion woman is part of the Syndicate. Even though Malina has left a very bad taste in your mouth, I still trust that you and your team could still look at this impartially."
- — Jacob Whitburn and Patrick Ingrum
- "This mission doesn’t need me; therefore, I’m going to spend some quality time with Tiana and let you have the ship. I told Governor Whitburn you would be there in 18 hours, so I suggest you get ready, captain."
- — Patrick Ingrum, to acting XO Sara Jackson.
- "As I mentioned to Captain Ingrum, we have a group of Orion free-traders currently attempting to do business in our port. One of their competitors has made statements accusing the Orions of secretly being part of the Syndicate. I think the claim is without merit. However, as governor, I’ve got to cover my ass."
- "So, I take it you would like for us to discreetly investigate the claims and report back to you."
- "If you’re suggesting a covert investigation of the Orions, that won’t be necessary. The head of the delegation is eagerly awaiting an interview. How soon do you want to meet with her?"
- "Is lunchtime too soon?"
- "I’ll check with the delegation, but I think that will be fine."
- — Jacob Whitburn and Sara Jackson
- "Needless to say, I know what’s happening. Many of the traders that aren’t familiar with the reputation of my crew see our green skin and presume that we’re up to no good. This is the first time we’ve opened up trade with a Federation world."
- — Mara, introducing herself.
- "There is one thing. I understand that you have had a run-in with an Orion woman named Malina."
- "We have."
- "In that case, I will say that I have the misfortune to be her cousin. Even though she is a blood relative, I probably like her even less than you do."
- "So noted. We’ll try not to hold it against you. Is there anything else you wish to disclose?"
- "I don’t think there’s anything else that isn’t part of the packet. However, if there’s no objection, I’d like to chat with Commander Ingrum, woman to woman."
- — Mara, Bridget Ingrum, and Sara Jackson
- "You know, if the trading fare gets too competitive, you could be a great counselor."
- "What makes you think I hadn’t considered it?"
- "You seem to be secure as a trader, but I take it you have studied to be a counselor."
- "University of Betazed, class of '62. I figured that to succeed in trade, it was more advantageous to study the people before studying the trade."
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The story title refers to song composed by Joe Raposo and most famously performed by Kermit the Frog.
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Bein' Green Full text of the story, on the author's website.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.