I think we need some kind of streamlining of what the difference is between an "alternate reality" and a "parallel universe" on here.
My proposal is this: the "alternate reality" is an "alternate timeline" that refers to the events in Star Trek, while other parallels, like Pendragon and Remington, are just "parallel universes," which would serve to differentiate them. It would make using the articles that involve the alternate versions of Kirk, Spock, et. al, much easier.
My proposal is basically what MA does, and I think it would fit really well here. The term "parallel universe" can easily be used to refer to any story that significantly departs from regular canon facts, while preserving the term "alternate reality" just makes differentiating that much easier.
I'm not sure how to handle alternate timelines, though. My thinking is that it'd just be used in-series as a term to describe one-time instances.
- Alternate reality: Star Trek
- Parallel universe: Pendragon, Remington, etc.
- Alternate timeline: ENT: "Storm Front", Star Trek: First Contact
So in short, Star Trek is an alternate timeline since it involved time manipulation, but since it's so important, it gets a category on its own. Pendragon and Remington are parallel universes because their differences weren't caused by direct temporal manipulation, while ENT: "Storm Front" and Star Trek: First Contact are alternate timelines because they were caused by temporal manipulation, and of course, the mirror universe gets its own category for obvious reasons.
- Anyone? --Kevin W.•Talk to me 07:36, May 7, 2010 (UTC)
- I'd need to know what to do with this because I have written in at least four realities: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions is pretty much within canon, but only tangentially in continuity with the official Pocket Books novels after that, Sigils and Unions: Catacombs of Oralius is one of the AUs seen in TNG: "Parallels" and the point of divergence (at least for Cardassia Prime) is established to be in the late 19th century (Bajor's POD is unknown), "The Nature of the Beast" is a "Dominion wins" story with a POD in 2373 or thereabouts, and "Cardassian Sunrise" is a Trek XI universe story. What categories would each of those fall into? Nerys Ghemor 20:53, July 4, 2010 (UTC)