|USS Baldwin story|
|"Only the Young"|
|Original post date:||2001|
|Next story:||"Trouble in Paradise"|
- Squadron log, Stardate 52539.8: Ticonderoga is expected to be released from its refit today. It's first mission back from three months out of the action will take her on a more diplomatic mission.
- Captain's log, Stardate 52542.4: We have arrived at the Goran system. Untangling diplomatic solutions is not my specialty, but handling them comes with the Center Seat.
- Ship's log, Supplemental: We have arrived in the Briar Patch. I am leading an away team to make emergency repairs on the Enterprise, while the diplomatic corps straightens out arrangements with the Ba'ku.
- — Recorded by Karen Merrill
- Captain's log, Stardate 52547.7: We have remained near the Goran system for some time. Meanwhile, Captain Picard and I have heard from my second officer regarding becoming a cultural envoy to the Ba'ku world. My first officer, Reinette Hernandez, also heard about it as has also submitted a request. I have forwarded both requests to Starfleet for approval.
- "We're sending Ticonderoga. I want you to assume command of the ship. You will be responsible for carrying a crew of engineers and diplomats."
- "There is a class-M world in the Briar Patch. The inhabitants there are warp-capable, but prefer not to use technology. The Federation would like to expedite the process of making them a protectorate."
- “She has the heart of a warrior. She is very skillful with her bat'leth, even though she has been training for a short time."
- "I will consider that a great honor,"
- "As well you should."
- "I felt that your service aboard this ship has been outstanding, and at times above and beyond the call of duty. I hereby promote both of you to the rank of Lieutenant."
- “Understood. Laura, you're with me. Bring your bat'leth."
- "Aye, sir. Are you expecting a cold reception?"
- "I just have a bad feeling."
- This story takes place three months after the previous USS Baldwin story, Bullseye.
- Obviously, this story takes place after the events of Star Trek: Insurrection, since this story deals with the film's aftermath. It is also inferred that the story also takes place before DS9: "Penumbra".
- The title comes from a song by Journey from the film Vision Quest.
- Only the Young Full text of the story, on the author's website.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.