The USS Chimera (NCC-11555) was an Oberth-class starship commissioned on stardate 369032.2 and was built under Naval Construction Contract (NCC) number 11555 at the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards. (Star Trek: Outpost)
- The above stardate contains an extra digit, but is as stated in Outpost's first episode. See "background" section for more.
Dedication plaque[edit | edit source]
The ship's dedication plaque bore a quote from Miguel deCervantes from the musical Man of La Mancha: "To dream the impossible dream...to run where the brave dare not go...to reach the unreachable star."
History[edit | edit source]
The Chimera underwent extensive field modifications and did not meet Starfleet specifications in many areas. Outdated technology from a variety of cultures was incorporated into the ship.
In 2366, DS3 Station Commander Captain Montaine Buchanan announced that Starfleet Command had begun the process of decommissioning Chimera. A number of ships of differing classes were offered as a replacement. No decision had been arrived at. Most of the replacements were finishing up extensive refits. The decommissioning process would be completed between 6 months and one year.
When Starfleet mounted a defense against the Borg in early 2367, the Chimera took the place of the damaged USS Remington, but arrived too late, after the Battle of Wolf 359. The Chimera began search and rescue operations, recovering escape pods, and survivors from the USS Lord Tennyson and other vessels. Their rescue and recovery efforts were interrupted by a fleet of scavenger ships intent on plundering the hulks for anything useable or valuable. Chimera fought hard, but was not designed for a prolonged battle. After hours of exchanging fire, Chimera's systems were failing. Captain Exler finally ordered all personnel, save herself and Master Chief Burt Knox to a nearby hospital ship, the USS Errand of Mercy. Their attempt to engage and destroy the lead scavenger ship was interrupted by the timely arrival of the Remington. Exler requested a tow back to Deep Space Three. (Star Trek: Outpost: "This Hallowed Space Parts 1 and 2")
Crew manifest[edit | edit source]
- Captain Sayzar Tyrellian (deceased) - former commanding officer of the vessel.
- Lt. Commander Gregory Torkelson - Former Commanding officer. Was reassigned to the USS Chimera from the USS Remington. Recently relieved by DS3 Station Commander Captain Montaine Buchanan
- Lieutenant commander Renova Exler - Former First Officer and Security Chief. Recently assigned as Captain
- Ensign Grelding - Communications Officer
- Lieutenant Owen Kyle - Second Officer and Helmsman, recently promoted to First Officer
- Lieutenant Karen Denali - Chief Science Officer
- Lieutenant Robin Hood - Current Security Chief and Tactical Officer
- Ensign Randy Thomas - Navigation Officer
- Dr. Rachel Winston - Chief Medical Officer
- Med Tech Giles - Medical Technician
- Med Tech Kiara Johnson - Medical Technician
- Master Chief Petty Officer Burt "Hard" Knox - Chief Engineer
- Engineer Takahara - Assistant Chief Engineer
Background[edit | edit source]
- The Chimera is described throughout Outpost as an old vessel. In "What Could Be So Bad?", the pilot episode, the commissioning date of the Chimera is given as stardate 369032.2, which contains an extra digit before the point, making it incompatible and indecipherable when compared with other 24th century stardates. One possible solution is to render it as stardate 36903.22, which would render a date in 2359, and mean that Chimera is only 7 years old when she's up to be decommissioned in 2366. This is highly unlikely, given discussions of the ship being significantly older than that, and there is no way to easily adjust the stardate for a more accurate year.
See also[edit | edit source]
|USS Armargosa - USS Bashir - USS Bonestell - USS Chimera - USS Clark - USS Cochrane - USS Copernicus - USS Gemini-B - USS Grissom - USS Leone - USS Lowell - USS Oberth - USS Orichalcum - USS Patentote - USS Pegasus - USS Phoenix-A - USS Raman - USS Schirra - USS Thagard - SS Tsiolkovsky - USS Voyager - USS Ve'hal - SS Vico - USS Westphalen - SS Whitcomb - USS Yosemite (I) - USS Yosemite (II)|