|Status:||Lost presumed destroyed (2329)|
History and Service
The Enterprise-B, under the command of Captain John Harriman, was launched from a drydock orbiting Earth in 2293. For her maiden voyage, a short trip between Earth and Pluto, were a group of journalists and three special guests, Captains James T. Kirk and Montgomery Scott and Commander Pavel Chekov, who had all served aboard the previous USS Enterprise.
As the Enterprise got underway, they received a distress call from two transports who were bringing El-Aurian refugees to Earth. Despite the Enterprise lacking several vital elements such as photon torpedoes or medical staff, Harriman ordered the ship to proceed at maximum warp. On arrival, they found the two transports trapped inside the Nexus and, in attempting to rescue the refugees, became trapped herself. After rescuing as many survivors as they were able before both transports exploded, Kirk proceeded to alter the ship's deflector dish to produce a resonance burst and allowed the Enterprise to escape. Unfortunately, the ship was hit by a tendril of energy from the Nexus, and the section of the hull that Kirk was in was exposed to space. (Star Trek Generations)
- According to the USS Enterprise Owners' Workshop Manual, due to the disastrous nature of the shakedown cruise, Captain Harriman was replaced by Captain William George for the Enterprise's first five-year mission. Harriman returned to command the ship in 2298. This appears to be inconsistent with Pocket Books' continuity, though it is not certain.
In 2299, the Enterprise-B drove off a Klingon attack against the Kamura V colony. (Ship Recognition Manual, Volume 4: Starships of the Original Series Era)
In 2302, the Enterprise-B was instrumental in stopping a subspace species from conquering the Federation. (Ship Recognition Manual, Volume 4: Starships of the Original Series Era)
Five years later, the Enterprise underwent an extensive refit, which brought her up to the standards of the new Ivarix-class Romulan warbirds. (Star Trek: The Lost Era novel: Serpents Among the Ruins)
The Enterprise-B was heavily involved in the Tomed Incident of 2311, after which Captain Harriman relinquished his command and left starship duty. Former first officer Demora Sulu was promoted to captain and assumed command of the Enterprise. (TLE novel: Serpents Among the Ruins)
In the 2320s, the Enterprise was under the command of Captain Thomas Johnson, Jr. and stationed along the Federation-Cardassian border. In 2328, the Enterprise and her crew assisted Bajoran refugees when the Cardassian Union annexed Bajor. (ST reference: USS Enterprise Owners' Workshop Manual)
The Enterprise-B left active service sometime prior to 2332, when the Ambassador-class USS Enterprise-C was launched. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, TLE novel: The Art of the Impossible, Well of Souls)
- Several different sources give differing explanations of the end of the Enterprise-B's service. They include:
- In 2307, the Enterprise-B was lost with all hands under classified circumstances. (Ship Recognition Manual, Volume 4: Starships of the Original Series Era)
- In 2329, the Enterprise-B was lost in deep space with all hands after the crew contracted a mysterious illness (USS Enterprise Owners' Workshop Manual)
- Circa 2353 (or reference stardate 2/9208.12), the Enterprise-B engaged in battle with two warships of the Imperial Klingon States in the Triangle. Though the Enterprise destroyed the Klingon vessels, she suffered catastrophic damage in the battle and was destroyed. (FASA RPG: Star Trek: The Next Generation Officers' Manual)
- This final date conflicts with the known service of the Enterprise-C, which ended in 2344.
James T. Kirk's apparent death during the maiden voyage of the Enterprise-B was a public relations nightmare for Starfleet.
At the end of 2295, Chekov was promoted to fleet captain and became commanding officer of the Sixth Fleet. Thus, the Enterprise-B became the flagship of the Sixth, which was tasked with the exploration of the Beta Quadrant on a seven-year mission. ("New Orders")
The Enterprise-B was lost with all hands in 2329, with their last transmission to Starfleet noting that members of their crew had contracted a dangerous infection. (USS Enterprise Owners' Workshop Manual)
Members of the crew of the USS Yagami discovered the Enterprise-B while searching for an anomalous energy signature in the dimension belonging to the United Galactic Federation in 2380. (Team Chipmunk: The Next Generation vs. Star Trek: Omega Force: "Three Stars in the Night")
Following a battle with the evil Decepticon robots in which their original vessel, the SS Ponyo, was destroyed, Stargazer Seville and her friends and allies were given ownership of the Enterprise-B under the terms of the Nagano-Miyake Compact. (Team Chipmunk: The Next Generation vs. Star Trek: Omega Force: "Beyond the Edge of Forever")
In an alternate timeline where Data was raised by the Klingon Empire and Klingon Defence Force, the Enterprise-B had been lost after the crew fell victim to a plague. The Chalnoth salvaged the ship along with Avenger (NX-09) and used them for piracy.
The Yattho, a Xindi-Insectioid offshoot who had gained precognitive powers, predicted the Chalnoth would attack them. They invited the Klingons to test the new IKS Vor'cha in their space as a result. During the battle, the Vor'cha's temporary captain, Kurn, hoped to return the ship to the Federation, but it was destroyed when the IKS Pagh damaged the engines, and several Yattho ships pounced on it. (Data, son of Soong)