- The Star Fleet Technical Manual had the registry as NCC-1705.
Excalibur 's commanding officer, ca. 2252, was Captain Dmitri Vlasidovich, who was of the same Starfleet Academy class as Christopher Pike and Hood 's then-CO, Michaela Harrari. (TOS novel: The Children of Kings)
- Some sources list Captain Harris' first name as Thomas, others as Timothy. In Star Trek: Excalibur, it is Anton.
In 2268, Excalibur was severely damaged during exercises with the USS Enterprise. The Enterprise, under the control of the malfunctioning M-5 computer, fired its phasers at full power easily penetrating the minimally power shields of the Excalibur, killing the entire crew. (TOS: "The Ultimate Computer")
In 2272, the Excalibur, along with much of the Constitution fleet, was refitted. (Ship Recognition Manual, Volume 4: Starships of the Original Series Era)
USS Excalibur, USS El Dorado, and USS Lexington were assigned to the 378th Cruiser Squadron in 2283 during the Klingon Empire's Taal Tan Offensive. They engaged a battle fleet of nine Klingon vessels. Excalibur and El Dorado sustain damages in the attack, but the Klingons were beaten back across the border. (The Taal Tan Offensive)
The Excalibur was finally decommissioned in 2297. (Ship Recognition Manual, Volume 4: Starships of the Original Series Era)
- The registry for Excalibur in this continuity was NCC-1705.
Commodores Enwright and Wesley were recalled to Sector 001 to appear before a board of inquiry after the Incident. Commander Derek Mason was tasked with taking an away team to the Excalibur to stabilize its antimatter systems so the ship could be repaired. Lieutenants Beck and Jamie Archer were part of that team. (Ghost Ship)
Captain Lance Ramirez assumed command of the Excalibur after the extensive repairs were completed. Beck, newly promoted to commander, was posted as executive officer and chief science officer. (Demons, Air and Darkness)
Captain Kelly Davis was the commanding officer of the Excalibur in this continuity. Most of her senior staff were female officers.
One of the Excalibur shuttlecraft was named the Sally Ride. (Who Haunts This Ship?, The Haunting)
During the Kelvan War in 2285, Excalibur, under Captain Croft, was assigned to Task Force Four and was one of the few survivors of the engagement against the Kelvans. Her personnel were rescued by ships from Task Force Six. (Orion Press: In Harm's Way)
- The registry for this Excalibur was NCC-1705.
Following the M-5 incident the Excalibur was salvaged. During its repairs it was partially refitted and served as a testbed for several of the upgrades that would be later applied to refit the Constitution class. After 18 months in drydock the Excalibur was relaunched under the command of Captain Thomas Nelson. (Star Trek: Excalibur: "Homecoming")
- USS Excalibur (NCC-1664) article at Memory Alpha, the canon Star Trek wiki.
- USS Excalibur (NCC-1664) article at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek wiki.
- Jackill's: Starfleet Heavy Cruiser Constitution-Class (2nd Pilot) (1999)
- Star Fleet Starship Recognition Manual: Report #298: Constitution Heavy Cruiser
- Strategic Design: Constitution-Class NX-1700 Starship Prototype (2009)
- USS Enterprise Heavy Cruiser Class Star Trek (TOS): Profile, Cutaway, and Deck Plans (2020)