- Star Fleet Technical Manual gives the registry as NCC-1707.
- This is an estimate based on reference stardate 1/9307.
In 2268, Hood participated in a fleet war games exercise near Starbase 6. This exercise put four starships against the M-5 controlled USS Enterprise (NCC-1701). The M-5 malfunctioned, causing the Enterprise to fire full-powered phasers at the minimally-defended Excalibur, severely damaging the ship. (TOS: "The Ultimate Computer")
John Russell captained Hood from 2268-2272 until relieved by Therin. (Starship Saladin: "Tour of Duty") Therin captained Hood from 2272 to 2293. (Australian fanzines Data, Kiron III, and the New Zealand fanzine, Katra)
Hood received a refit in 2274 and would continue to serve until it was decommissioned in 2293. (Ship Recognition Manual, Volume 4: Starships of the Original Series Era)
Alternate continuities[edit | edit source]
While attempting to deliver a package for Starfleet Command's tactical weapons research group in 2258, it was attacked by four Orion pirate vessels, resulting in the deaths of 196 personnel. The ship was repaired and recommissioned the following year. ("Incident on Xantharus")
In 2291, Hood and USS Endeavor were tasked to perform detailed spectrographic planetary analysis and star charting the Beta Quadrant while avoiding contact with sentient lifeforms. Data collected from the two ships, as well as three others running different sorts of probe missions, were the basis of the general exploratory missions undertaken a few years later. (Orion Press: A Form of Redemption, Lexicon G-H, 2010 revision)
The Hood was commissioned in 2246. After the M-5 incident, as she was scheduled for refit in 2270 anyway, the decision was made to accelerate her maintenance schedule and combine battle repairs with the refit. She was relaunched in May, 2269, as the first production battlecruiser design in the history of Starfleet. (Starship Dynamics: General Plans U.S.S. Hood NCC-1703 Battlecruiser - Hood Class (Refit))
- USS Hood (NCC-1703) article at Memory Alpha, the canon Star Trek wiki.
- USS Hood (NCC-1703) article at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek wiki.
- Jackill's: Starfleet Heavy Cruiser Constitution-Class (2nd Pilot) (1999)
- Strategic Design: Constitution-Class NX-1700 Starship Prototype (2009)
- USS Enterprise Heavy Cruiser Class Star Trek (TOS): Profile, Cutaway, and Deck Plans (2020)
- Starship Dynamics: General Plans U.S.S. Hood NCC-1703 Battlecruiser - Hood Class (Refit) (2017)