The term warrant officer is used differently in several different organizations.
In Starfleet, the Federation and Starfleet Marine Corps and the Federation Starfighter Corps, warrant officers are a specialized grade of service in a military operation, where an officer is given his authority through a warrant rather than a commission, usually for service in a single field, with the capacity of an expert.
In addition to the standard rank of warrant officer itself, there exist several grades of chief warrant officers.
- Warrant Officer 1 - WO-s are technically and tactically focused officers who perform the primary duties of technical leader, trainer, operator, manager, maintainer, sustainer, and advisor.
- Chief Warrant Officer 2 - CWO2s are intermediate-level technical and tactical experts who perform increased duties and responsibilities at the detachment through battalion levels.
- Chief Warrant Officer 3 - CWO3s are advanced-level experts who perform the primary duties of a technical and tactical leader. They provide direction, guidance, resources, assistance, and supervision necessary for subordinates to perform their duties. They primarily support operations levels from team or detachment through brigade.
- Chief Warrant Officer 4 - CWO4s are Senior-level experts in their chosen field, primarily supporting battalion, brigade, division, corps, and echelons above corps operations. They typically have special mentorship responsibilities for other WOs and provide essential advice to commanders on WO issues.
- Chief Warrant Officer 5 - CWO5s are master-level experts that support brigade, division, corps, echelons above corps, and major command operations. They provide leader development, mentorship, advice, and counsel to Warrant Officers and branch officers. CW5s have special Warrant Officer leadership and representation responsibilities within their respective commands.
Notable warrant officers and chief warrant officersEdit
- Phillip Boylan
- Tabatha Brisk
- Ari Chandra
- Edward Leslie